Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cinnamon Buns

What could be better on a miserable Saturday morning than fresh homemade cinnamon scrolls and a cup of coffee (or milk for the kids).  


Since moving to Switzerland we have started the ritual of cooking our own special breakfast on the weekends, as the lovely Melbourne cafe does not exist here.  Normally it is Daddy's pancakes, french toast, or waffles.  A couple of years ago my sister Catherine made cinnamon scrolls for brunch and I thought they would make a nice change.  It has taken me a long long time to get around to making these as they are essentially a soft sweet bread which requires hours of proving.  While I loved the idea I was not so keen to get up at 4am so we could have cinnamon buns for breakfast!  I was flicking through my Monday Morning Cooking Club cookbook and finally read to the end of the recipe where is said that the dough refrigerates or freezes well.  What a fabulous idea!  So last Saturday afternoon I set to work, it took a few minutes here and there over the course of the afternoon but other than all the waiting between steps they were very easy to make.  I made two cake tins worth and had a few messy ends left over.  The ends were tested for desert that evening, yummy!  We had one tin last Sunday morning and Pippi kindly woke me at 5am this morning so we had the last tin this morning. I took them out of the fridge to come back to room temperature for a final rise (and went back to bed.)

Before cooking

and these are what we enjoyed for breakfast..........

As I mentioned before the recipe came from one of my favourite recipe books "Monday Morning Cooking Club".   This much loved book was a gift from my sister in law and family.  It has great recipes, savory and sweet.  They are not of the super quick and easy variety, although some are, but sometimes it is nice to put in a bit off an effort and I must say every recipe I have made has been totally worth it.  Couscous Roast Chicken has become a family favorite and the lamingtons are sooo good.


Sorry I can't share the recipe, as I don't think that is the right thing to do since I made it exactly to the recipe in the book, but I do highly recommend the recipe and the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment